The much anticipated Fossil Gen 6 has been announced and set to start shipping by September end. It’s the true successor to the popular Fossil Gen 5. And like Gen 5E, Fossil Gen 6 comes in two sizes; 44mm and 42mm. Gen 6 has the same 1GB RAM and 8GB storage as Gen 5. The health Tracking Features are also similar to a great extent with the addition of Spo2 tracking, and there is also a microphone and loudspeaker just like Gen 5. Moreover, Snapdragon 4100+ powers the Gen 6 and it now features Bluetooth v5.0 for faster transfer and connectivity. This post compares the difference between Fossil Gen 5 vs 6 to find out what’s new.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Full Specifications Compared
Fossil Gen 5 Calyle Specifications, Features and Price
Fossil Gen 6 (44mm) Specifications, Features and Price
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Fossil Gen 5 Calyle||Fossil Gen 6|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic smartwatch||Fitness/Classic smartwatch|
|Release date||August, 2019||September, 2021|
|Predecessor||Fossil Gen 4 Explorist||Fossil Gen 5|
|Versions||—||Fossil Gen 6 42mm & Fossil Gen 6 44mm|
|Dimension||44 x 44 x 12 mm||44 x 44 x 12 mm|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap material||Stainless steel||Leather, Silicone, Stainless steel|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap size||22 mm||22 mm|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass||Corning Gorilla Glass|
|Color||Black, Brown, Smoke||Black case/ black silicone straps, Black case/brown leather straps, Black case/Green Camo Grosgrain straps, Smoke case/smoke stainless steel straps|
|Display size||1.28 inch||1.28 inch|
|Display type||AMOLED, Full color||AMOLED, Full color|
|Display resolution||416 x 416 px||416 x 416 px|
|Pixel density||326 ppi||326 ppi|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Yes, Bluetooth v4.2 LE||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||No||Yes|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||No||No|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||No||No|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||Regular: 24hrs+||Regular: 24hrs+|
|Charging type||Charging dock||Charging dock|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||30min-1hr|
|Chipset||Snapdragon 3100||Snapdragon 4100+|
|CPU||—||1.7GHz Quad-core CPU ARM Cortex A53|
|GPU||—||Qualcomm Adreno 504 GPU|
|Operating system||Wear OS||Wear OS|
|Companion app||Fossil Q App||Fossil Q App|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+|
|Payment system||Google Pay||Google Pay|
|Interchangeable strap||22 mm, Yes||22 mm, Yes|
|Voice command||Yes, Google Assistant||Yes, Google Assistant|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Fossil Gen 5 Calyle, Manual, Straps||Charger, Fossil Gen 6, Manual, Straps|
Before we talk about the differences between Fossil Gen 5 and 6, let’s talk about similar features.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Design
Nothing much has changed with respect to design except that the Gen 6 comes in two sizes; 44mm and 42mm case size, while the Gen 5 is only available in 44mm case size. However, both Gen 5 and 6 have cases made of stainless steel. The straps can be swapped with compatible sizes, 18mm and 22mm for the 42mm and 44mm sizes respectively.
Corning Gorilla Glass DX still protects the display of Gen 6 and 5, and both smartwatches are rated 3ATM representing 30 meters. That’s to say these two are waterproof going by the rating. So, you can wear this to the shower and you can also wear any of these two to the pool.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Display
The display of both smartwatches is powered by AMOLED which is rich in colors and offers a vivid display. Touchscreen is supported on both smartwatches and there are three physical buttons by the side on both smartwatches with the middle button acting as a rotating crown.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Fitness Tracking
Both Gen 5 and 6 are equipped with the same number of sensors. You will get heart rate tracking, sleep tracking, including tracking your daily activities like steps and calories burnt. You also get inbuilt GPS on both smartwatches as well as an altimeter for counting floors climbed.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Media and Storage
Both Gen 5 and 6 are equipped with an 8GB storage capacity that allows you to store your favorite track onboard. A microphone that allows you to access Google voice assistant and a loudspeaker that lets you play music aloud are onboard both watches. You can make and receive calls with both smartwatches directly from the watch (phone must be nearby).
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Managing Notifications
Both smartwatches will allow you to manage notifications received on your phone. You can enable notifications alerts for your favorite apps like WhatsApp, Gmail, and more. The ability to reply to notifications is supported on both smartwatches for only android phone users for now. Google Pay is available and this will allow you to make payments directly from any of these two.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: What’s New?
The difference between these two is that Snapdragon 4100+ powers the Gen 6. Spo2 has also been added to the Gen 6, it comes with Bluetooth v5.0 and has a slightly longer battery life than Gen 5.
- Snapdragon 4100+ Powers Gen 6
- Fossil Gen 6 Has an Spo2 Sensor For Blood Oxygen Measurement
- Fossil Gen 6 has Bluetooth 5.0 for Faster Transfer and Connectivity
- Gen 6 Has a Slightly Longer Battery Life
While this might not being very cheerful news, it’s certainly a decent improvement from the Snapdragon 3100 which powers the Fossil Gen 5. The 4100+ is a 12nm chip compared to the 28nm process of the 3100 chip. It boasts a performance by up to 30%. It also features the QCC1110 co-processor introduced to the 3100 chip. This co-processor handles the always-on display mode feature and other small tasks, thereby saving you battery life.
Spo2 blood oxygen measurement has been introduced to Gen 6. It will allow you to measure your blood oxygen which can help you see how well your blood utilizes oxygen. This feature can come in handy in helping you understand how well you sleep and if you are climbing, it can help you know when to stop climbing. Although this feature is long overdue, it’s better late than never.
Another new feature of the Gen 6 is that it comes with Bluetooth 5.0 compared to Bluetooth 4.2 of its predecessor. This enables faster transfer allowing you to save time and battery life.
As a result of the 4100+ chip paired with 1GB RAM, the Gen 6 has slightly faster performance than its predecessor. Fossil claims a 30% boost in performance which will allow you to do more in lesser time. As a result, it has a slightly longer battery life than Gen 5.
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6: Should You Upgrade?
Snapdragon 4100+ doesn’t represent a significant difference. However, any boost in performance for a Wear OS smartwatch is highly welcomed on our end. Beyond that, Spo2 blood oxygen measurement is now available. If these and other few additions are worth more to you, then it’s worth upgrading.
On the other Gen 5 isn’t doing bad either. It’s undoubtedly the most popular Wear OS before the arrival of the Galaxy Watch 4. It’s a fine smartwatch and a comprehensive one loaded with lots of features.
Fossil Gen 6 Features
- It comes with a 1.28 inches Always-on AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla glass covering the screen. Navigation is via touchscreen and 3 physical buttons (2 push-in buttons and 1 rotating button).
- The case is made of stainless steel, same as the bezel. The 44mm size supports 22mm interchangeable straps.
- Comes with preloaded sport modes.
- You get access to lots of apps like Google Assistant, Google Play store, Spotify and more.
- Clock features include time/date, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Customize the watch face from available watch faces or download watch faces from the pool of many watch faces available on the app store.
- Find my phone, control music on Smartphone and also use remote camera to take photo.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important notifications. You can also reply to messages (Android only).
- Rated 3ATM (swim-proof).
- Compatible with both Android 6.0+ and iOS 12.0+ devices.
- Inbuilt microphone supports Google Assistant and with a loudspeaker, you can make and receive calls directly from the phone via Bluetooth. Thus, you can make and receive calls directly from the watch, but your phone must be nearby.
- 8GB onboard storage capacity lets you take your music and playlists with you.
- Inbuilt NFC supports Google Pay that lets you make payment directly from the watch on the go.
- Custom battery saver modes allow you to get a little longer battery life.
- There are lots of preloaded apps like Google Assistant, Spotify and more to choose from.
Fossil Gen 6 Fitness Tracking Features
- It comes with inbuilt GPS that allow you track your outdoor activities like routes and location which can then be viewed from the companion app.
- It can track your sleep stages with the Fossil sleep tracking app.
- Heart rate monitor tracks your heart rate so you can see your heart rate in real-time and also get to manage the intensity of your training.
- Features lots of preset sport modes.
- Tracks your steps, distance, cardio level, calories and sedentary reminder.
- It is equipped with an altimeter that enable you manage and monitor elevation changes.
- It comes with a compass that can help you in navigating and finding your geographical orientation.
- NEW: It comes with an SpO2 sensor that enables you to measure blood oxygen levels – a critical indicator of how well your blood utilizes oxygen.