Garmin Instinct Solar Specifications, Features, Pros, Cons and Price
- Release date:: July, 2020
- Display:: 1.27 inches, Transflective (MIP) LCD
- Body:: Silicone, Fiber-reinforced polymer
- Battery Life:: 24 days
- Compatibility:: Android and iOS. Check compatibility
|Design:||(4.3 / 5)|
|Battery:||(4.7 / 5)|
|Fitness tracking:||(4.7 / 5)|
|Features:||(3.5 / 5)|
|Price:||(3.5 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.1 / 5)|
Garmin Instinct Solar Full Specifications and Features – Instinct Solar GPS smartwatch is one of the 6 smartwatches released under the Instinct set. It features blood oxygen tracking, underwater heart rate tracking, and has a longer battery life which the Instinct without solar lacks. The Instinct set of smartwatches from Garmin are a collection of rugged GPS smartwatches that are designed to track your daily activities both indoors and outdoors alongside a very long battery life. Some of the new features added to the new Instinct sets include solar-powered versions, surfing, and tactical features such as sheath mode that allows you to stop sharing your GPS data and jumpmaster that calculates high altitude release points according to military guidelines.
Garmin Instinct 2020 comes in 6 editions;
- Garmin Instinct
- Garmin Instinct Solar
- Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical edition
- Garmin Instinct Tactical
- Garmin Instinct Solar Surf edition
- Garmin Instinct Solar Camo edition.
All 6 models have the same dimensions and display types, but the Solar editions come with pulse ox sensors that enable blood oxygen tracking, underwater heart rate tracking for swimming enthusiasts, and have slightly longer battery life.
Besides, the Surf edition works with Surfline Sessions which creates a video of every wave you ride and records the number of waves surfed, maximum speed reached, and distance traveled by using the surf activity profile. It also updates you with ocean conditions to help you catch the perfect wave. These features are not present in the other editions of Instinct.
Instinct Solar Tactical edition features a jumpmaster profile that calculates high-altitude release points according to military guidelines, night vision compatibility mode that switches the display from daytime to nighttime view which can be read with night vision goggles, and stealth mode that enables you to stop sharing your GPS location.
The Camo edition, on the other hand, has a military camouflage design that I think looks very inspiring.
All editions of Instinct solar smartwatches are powered by a transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) display technology that’s easy to read outdoors with 5 physical buttons for easy navigation.
Each of the Instinct edition features loads of fitness tracking features that include counting your steps, calories, tracking your heart rate, sleep, stress, and body battery energy monitor that gauges how fit you’re for the next task. The multi-satellite GPS networks enable you to track your outdoor activities effectively and there are also many sport profiles to choose from.
Another common feature with the Instinct sets of smartwatches is the long battery of each of these devices. You can get up to 14 days long battery life with smartwatch mode on the non-solar editions and even longer with the solar editions.
Beyond the long battery life and loads of fitness features, Garmin Instinct syncs with your phone to keep you updated when you receive a notification on your phone.
Garmin Instinct Solar Features
- 1.27 inches transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) display, bright and easy to read outdoors.
- Clock features include time/date, GPS time sync, auto daylight saving, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Download watch faces, widgets, data fields and apps from the Garmin Connect IQ Store.
- Calls reject/text response with preset texts (Android only).
- Find my phone, find my watch and control music on Smartphone.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important updates.
- Rated 10ATM (waterproof up to 100 meters).
- 22mm interchangeable straps with quick release feature.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Check compatible devices
- Sync and upload data from watch to the Garmin Connect community – a thriving community of fitness enthusiasts where you can connect and share with others.
Garmin Instinct Solar Activity Tracking Features
- Features pulse Ox sensor that monitors blood oxygen to determine how well your blood absorbs oxygen.
- Features Under water heart rate tracking that monitors your heart rate while you swim.
- Activity tracking features includes, steps counter, sleep monitoring, calories, distance, intensity minutes, fitness age (VO2 Max.), menstrual cycle tracking, hydration tracking and all day stress tracking.
Added body battery energy monitor that monitors your body energy to help you find the perfect time to train, so that you can be more productive without breaking down.
- Gym and fitness equipment includes, cardio, strength workout and automatic rep counting, while available gym profiles includes strength, cardio, elliptical, rowing, stair stepping, and yoga.
- Training, planning and analysis features includes, downloadable training plans, VO2 max, activity history on watch, GPS speed and distance, create custom activity profiles and advanced workouts.
- Heart rate tracking features includes, HR zones, HR alerts, HR calories, % HR max and HRR broadcast data to paired device.
Also available, are recovery time that measures how well you’ve recovered from previous training, helping you train at the best time.
- Running features include , GPS-based distance, time and pace, cadence, run workouts, foot pod capable, with available run profiles such as running, indoor track running, trail running and treadmill running.
- Outdoor recreational features includes, back to start, total descent/ascent and available outdoor recreational profiles such as skiing, snowboarding, XC skiing, stand up paddleboarding, fishing, kayaking, and rowing.
Other outdoor recreational features include, point-to-point navigation, bread crumb trail in realtime, elevation profile, GPS coordinates and barometric trend indicator with storm alerts.
- Cycling features includes, time/heart rate/calories/distance alerts and preloaded courses. Available cycling profiles include biking, mountain biking and indoor biking with lots of available courses to choose from.
- Swim tracking features includes,pool swim metrics, stroke type detection, basic rest timer, time/distance alerts with pool swimming and open water swimming as available swim profiles.
Also tracks strokes, SWOLF, calories and pace.
Available Best Prices
Garmin Instinct Solar
Garmin Instinct 2018
Garmin Instinct, Garmin Instinct Camo Solar, Garmin Instinct Solar, Garmin Instinct Surf Solar, Garmin Instinct Tactical, Garmin Instinct Tactical Solar
45 x 45 x 15.3 mm
Flame red, Graphite, Lakeside blue, Sea foam, Sunburst, Tundra
LCD, Memory-in-pixel (MIP), transflective
128 x 128 pixels
|Custom watch face|
(not touchscreen), 5 Physical buttons
Galileo, GLONASS, GPS
Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
|Memory card slot|
|Third-party apps alert|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)|
|Heart rate monitoring|
|Incidental fall detection|
|Underwater heart rate tracking|
GPS: 30hrs/38hrs (Solar), Smartwatch mode: 24 days/54 days (solar), Watch mode: 56 days/unlimited (solar)
|Find my phone|
Charger, Garmin Instinct, Manual, Straps