Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
- Release date:: August, 2021
- Display:: 1.2 inches, 360 x 360px
- Body:: 47grams
- Battery Life:: 247mAh, 1 day+
- Memory:: 16GB ROM, 1.5GB RAM
- Compatibility:: Android 6.0+ and RAM 1.5GB+
|Design:||(4.9 / 5)|
|Battery:||(3.7 / 5)|
|Fitness tracking:||(4.9 / 5)|
|Features:||(4.9 / 5)|
|Price:||(4.2 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.5 / 5)|
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE) Full Specifications – It’s official! Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and Galaxy Watch 4 are the newest Samsung smartwatches. These two succeed Galaxy Watch 3 and Galaxy Watch Active 2 respectively. These two also bring the return to the Wear OS platform. So, these are Wear OS smartwatches. Although a hybrid Wear OS/Tizen that promises more functions, yet great performance. Something, Wear OS smartwatches have lacked over the years. This page is dedicated to the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, you can check out the Galaxy Watch 4 page. On here, you’ll find everything you need to know about Galaxy Watch 4 Classic – The full specifications, features, release date, the available models, and prices.
Before we continue, let’s talk about the available sizes and models. Just like older Samsung smartwatches, Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is available in two sizes. It comes in 46mm and 42mm sizes just like Galaxy Watch specifically. So, clearly, you have the option to choose a bigger size or the small size. Each of these two sizes is available in Bluetooth/WIFI only or LTE model. The difference is that the LTE model will allow you to make and receive calls, install apps, and more without carrying your phone along. So, the LTE model is a standalone smartwatch. Check to be sure you’re buying the right LTE model for your region. More also, the LTE will cost you more.
Design – Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is Premium Smartwatch
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic looks just like the Galaxy Watch 3 with slight differences here and there. Its still circular in shape and has the iconic physical rotating bezel for effortless navigation. It comes in two sizes, the 46mm size with 45.5 x 45.5 x 11mm dimension and 42mm size with 41.5 x 41.5 x 11.2mm dimension. It has a case made of stainless steel, the bezel is also made of stainless steel while it comes with fluoroelastomer straps. You can always change the straps if you don’t like them. Its 20mm straps for the 42mm size and 22mm-wide straps for the 46mm. Corning Gorilla Glass DX protects the display. So, this is obviously a durable and sturdy device.
Despite having a stainless steel case, the 46mm weighs just 52 grams and the 42mm weighs just 47 grams (excluding straps). No doubt, these two are lightweight going by the average weights of smartwatches we’ve encountered. Both sizes are rated 5ATM which represents 50 meters. That’s to say, each of these two is waterproof up to 50 meters. You can wear this to shower or even to the pool.
The available colors are black and silver.
Super AMOLED which powers the display of Galaxy Watch 3 still powers the display of Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. However, the color depth is higher. The 46mm size has a 1.4 inches display size with a 450 x 450-pixel resolution and 454 PPI. The 42mm has a 1.2 inches display with 396 x 396 pixels and 466 PPI. Navigation is via touchscreen, two physical buttons, and the physical rotating bezel. There are also lots of watch faces to choose from.
Health and Fitness TrackingThe Galaxy Watch 4 Classic like its predecessor is very fitness-focused but this time Samsung has taken it to a higher level with the addition of new health-tracking features.
It comes equipped with a barometer, accelerometer, gyroscope, geomagnetic, optical heart rate sensor, electrical heart sensor, and the new bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) sensor. It also comes with A-GPS/GLONASS/Beidou/Galileo inbuilt. All these enable the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic to track all the basics like counting steps, floor climbed, calories, distance covered and also track your sleep in four stages as well as give a sleep score.
It will track your heart rate continuously and has the ability to show your resting and maximum heart rate. Advance health tracking features like blood oxygen, stress monitoring, ECG, and blood pressure are also available on Galaxy Watch 4 Classic.
You will get access to 90 preloaded sport modes and it has the ability to auto-detect and track your activities. Other fitness tracking features include menstrual cycle tracking for women, incidental fall detection, and emergency SOS. No doubt, Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is a full house of health tracking features.
Moreover, Samsung has introduced Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) – a feature that will allow you to measure body composition. It will check your body fat, body water, and skeletal muscle.
ECG, blood pressure, and BIA will only work with the Samsung Health Monitor app which is only available on the Galaxy store but not available on the Google Play store yet. As a result, these features will require a Samsung phone to work.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes with a massive 16GB storage that allows you to take your favorite tracks with you. That’s not all, you will also get access to more of your favorite music streaming services like Spotify – Thanks to the Wear OS/Tizen platform. You can also add your personal music from the companion app.
Managing Calls, SMS and Other Apps Notifications
Just like Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch 4 Classic will allow you to manage notifications received on your phone effortlessly. It will allow you to make and receive calls via Bluetooth (phone must be nearby for Bluetooth only model.) and it will also allow you to send and receive SMS. You have the options to reply to SMS, calls, and app notifications with preset quick replies, your voice, and type reply directly. You will need to enable apps you wish to receive a notification for in the companion app.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes with an NFC chip that enables Samsung Pay. This will allow you to make payment directly from the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic in supported countries.
Cellular Connectivity – The LTE Model is a Standalone Smartwatch
The LTE model of the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is a standalone smartwatch. This means that it has the ability to make and receive calls as well as do other functions that require cellular connectivity independent of a smartphone. It comes with an eSIM that enables cellular connectivity. It’s important that you check supported models in your country before buying.
Platform and Performance – New OS, New Chip
Two of the biggest upgrades the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic received are the switch to Wear OS/Tizen and a new 5nm chip.
Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes with a 5nm Exynos W920 chip which is the successor to Exynos 9110 that powers Galaxy Watch 3 down to Galaxy Watch. The new chip alongside a decent 1.5GB RAM boasts a great performance which is all the good news smartwatch fans need.
Galaxy Watch 4 Classic also runs on a Wear OS/Tizen OS platform that boasts of one feature which Tizen OS lacks. And that is access to a great variety of apps. So, with the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, you are getting access to more of your favorite apps. For instance, you’ll now get access to Google Assistant (will be added later in the future) which will allow you to use your voice to do simple tasks directly from the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
1 Day+ Battery Life
The 46mm Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes with a 361mAh while the 42mm comes with a 247mAh. Not too much battery power for a smartwatch ladened with loads of functions. Nevertheless, you can expect about 2 days of battery life just like Galaxy Watch 3. We haven’t verified the battery life yet, but we will do just that once we get our hands on the new watch.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm Bluetooth/WiFi will cost you $379.99 and the 42mm Bluetooth/Wif will cost you $349.99. The 46mm LTE model is priced at $429.99 while the 42mm LTE model is priced at $399.99.
Galaxy Watch 4 44mm Bluetooth/WiFi is priced at $279.99 and the 40mm Bluetooth/WiFi will cost you $249.99. The 44mm LTE model will cost you $329.99 while the 40mm LTE model will cost you $299.99.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE) Features
- Has a 1.2 inches always-on display powered by super AMOLED. Navigation is via touchscreen support, 2 physical buttons and a physical rotating bezel.
- Case is made of stainless steel, bezel is also made of stainless steel while straps are made of fluoroelastomer.
- It is available in black and silver colors.
- Rated 5ATM (50 meters) Swim-proof and you can eject water from the loudspeaker after immersion in water.
- Watch face is interchangeable, and you can select from preloaded watch faces or choose more from the app store.
- Rugged smartwatch with MIL-STD-810G- US military grade rating for shock.
- Equipped with 16GB storage capacity allowing you store your favourite tracks. You can also stream music from popular services like Spotify. To get best music experience, connect a headphone.
- It is equipped with both a microphone and loudspeaker.
- Features voice assistant like Google Assistant and Bixby by Samsung that will allow you use your voice to do simple tasks.
- Features on-the-go non-contactless payment with Samsung pay. Google Pay is expected to also be available in the future.
- LTE model is a standalone smartwatches that allows you make and receive calls and receive messages independent of a smartphone.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you like email, SMS, reminders, weather forecast, unlock phone, music playback on phone, remote camera control and notifications from third-party apps are beamed to your watch.
- Equipped with 1.5GB RAM and a new 5nm W920 Exynos chip which according to Samsung enables 20% faster CPU and 10x faster GPU performance.
- Will run on the new Wear OS/Tizen operating system out of the box. It’s an overhauled OS with Samsung’s One UI 3.0 interface that enables better user experience plus access to more apps.
- Its compatible with Android 6.0 or higher, RAM 1.5GB above
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE) Fitness Tracking Features
- It will continuously track all the basic such as your steps, calories, distance and floors climbed.
- Comprehensively tracks your sleep in four stages; light, deep, awake and REM.
- Comprehensively tracks your heart rate continuously, and will show your average, maximum and resting heart rate.
- Allows you to measure your stress level and can help you manage stress via guided breathing sessions.
- There is an electrical heart sensor that will allow you take ECG tracking for irregular heart rhythms and can help you detect atrial fibrillations.
- Features blood pressure monitoring that allow you to easily measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. You must calibrate the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with a traditional cuff to get the best result. You will need to install the Samsung Health Monitor app to do this.
- There are about 90 preset workout modes for you to choose from with the ability to auto detect and track 7 of these.
- It features Spo2 measurement, a feature that allows you to measure your blood oxygen directly from the watch.
- Features incidental fall detection that will call preset emergency contacts when the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic detects a hard fall. It also features SOS emergency feature that allow you set emergency contacts the watch will auto call when you press the home button three times. At same time, it will also send messages to a preset emergency contact with your location.
- Tracks your fitness level and show your VO2 Max. after working out outdoors.
- There is the hand washing app that will remind to wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- New: Features Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) that will allow you measure your body composition. It will measure your body fat, body water, skeletal muscle mass and BMI.
- Premium, compact, stylish and lightweight design.
- A comprehensive fitness smartwatch.
- 16GB onboard music storage.
- Loudspeaker and microphone inbuilt.
- A rugged and durable device certified MIL-STD-810G.
- Has physical rotating bezel for easy navigation.
- Wear OS gives you access to more apps.
- Great performance with Exynos W920 and 1.5GB RAM.
- A standalone smartwatch
- Battery life is short.
- Not compatible with iOS devices.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE)
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
Galaxy Watch 5 Pro
Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE
41.5 x 41.5 x 11.2mm
47g (excluding straps)
Stainless steel 316L
Stainless steel 316L
Super AMOLED, Full color
396 x 396 pixels
|Custom watch face||
2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen
Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
|Memory card slot|
GSM / HSPA / LTE
|Third-party apps alert|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||
|Heart rate monitoring|
|Incidental fall detection|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||
Non-removable Li-ion battery
Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging
1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)
Wear OS 3.5
Samsung Galaxy Wearable app
Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+
|Find my phone|
Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, Straps