The recently released Fossil Gen 6 is the latest Wear OS smartwatch and it succeeds Fossil Gen 5. The new smartwatch isn’t any much different from its predecessor except that it comes with the Snapdragon 4100+ chip and features Spo2 blood oxygen measurement. Beyond these, it houses the same 1GB RAM and 8GB storage capacity as Gen 5, and it’s also fitness-centered with a handful of sensors. Google Pay is also available, as well as a built-in microphone and loudspeaker. Gen 6 comes in two sizes; 44mm and 42mm, the 42mm is a more compact option for women, while the 44mm is a more suitable fit for men. In this post, we’ll be comparing the differences between Fossil Gen 6 42mm vs 44mm to help you decide which size is right for you.
Fossil Gen 6 (42mm) vs (44mm): Full Specifications Compared
Fossil Gen 6 (42mm) Specifications, Features and Price
Fossil Gen 6 (44mm) Specifications, Features and Price
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Fossil Gen 6 (42mm)||Fossil Gen 6|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic smartwatch||Fitness/Classic smartwatch|
|Release date||September, 2021||September, 2021|
|Predecessor||Fossil Gen 5||Fossil Gen 5|
|Versions||Fossil Gen 6 42mm & Fossil Gen 6 44mm||Fossil Gen 6 42mm & Fossil Gen 6 44mm|
|Dimension||42 x 42 x 12mm||44 x 44 x 12 mm|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap material||Leather, Silicone, Stainless steel||Leather, Silicone, Stainless steel|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap size||18 mm||22 mm|
|Interchangeable strap||18mm, Yes||22 mm, Yes|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass||Corning Gorilla Glass|
|Color||Gunmetal case/Gunmetal stainless steel strap, Rose Gold-tone/Rose Gold-tone stainless steel strap, Rose-Gold case/Purple silicone strap||Black case/ black silicone straps, Black case/brown leather straps, Black case/Green Camo Grosgrain straps, Smoke case/smoke stainless steel straps|
|Display size||1.28 inch||1.28 inch|
|Display type||AMOLED, Full color||AMOLED, Full color|
|Display resolution||416 x 416 px||416 x 416 px|
|Pixel density||326 ppi||326 ppi|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v5.0||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Reply to Notifications||-||-|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||Yes||Yes|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||No||No|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||No||No|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||Regular: 24hrs+||Regular: 24hrs+|
|Charging type||Charging dock||Charging dock|
|Chipset||Snapdragon 4100+||Snapdragon 4100+|
|CPU||1.7GHz Quad-core CPU ARM Cortex A53||1.7GHz Quad-core CPU ARM Cortex A53|
|GPU||Qualcomm Adreno 504 GPU||Qualcomm Adreno 504 GPU|
|Operating system||Wear OS||Wear OS|
|Companion app||Fossil Q App||Fossil Q App|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+|
|Payment system||Google Pay||Google Pay|
|Voice command||Yes, Google Assistant||Yes, Google Assistant|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Fossil Gen 6, Manual, Straps||Charger, Fossil Gen 6, Manual, Straps|
Fossil Gen 5 vs 6 – What’s New?
Before we talk about the differences, let’s talk about what’s New to Gen 6.
- Snapdragon 4100+ Powers Gen 6
- Fossil Gen 6 has Spo2 Spo2 blood oxygen measurement has been introduced to Gen 6. It will allow you to measure your blood oxygen to see how well your blood utilizes oxygen. This feature can come in handy in helping you understand how well you sleep and if you are climbing, it can help you know when to stop climbing. Although this feature is long overdue, it’s better late than never.
- Fossil Gen 6 has Bluetooth 5.0 – Faster transfer and Connectivity
- Gen Has a Longer Battery Life
While this might not be a very cheerful news, it is certainly a decent improvement from the Snapdragon 3100 chip which powers the Fossil Gen 5. The 4100+ is a 12nm chip that boasts a performance of up to 30%. It also features the QCC1110 co-processor that was first introduced to the 3100 chip. This co-processor handles the always-on display mode feature and other small tasks, thereby saving you battery life.
Another new feature of the Gen 6 is that it comes with Bluetooth 5.0 compared to Bluetooth 4.2 of its predecessor. This enables faster transfer allowing you to save time and battery life. The Bluetooth 5.0 also has a longer range than Bluetooth v4.2.
As a result of the 4100+ chip paired with 1GB RAM, the Gen 6 has slightly faster performance than its predecessor. Fossil claims a 30% boost in performance which will allow you to do more in lesser time. This also translates to a slightly longer battery life than the Gen 5.
Fossil Gen 6 (42mm) vs (44mm): The Difference
The first difference you’ll notice between the 44mm and 42mm is the difference in size. The 42mm is a more compact smartwatch than the 44mm size. It’s better suitable for women while the 44mm is a better fit for men or individuals with fat wrists. The straps are also different. The 42mn is compatible with 20mm wide straps while the 44mm is compatible with 22mm straps.
Available ColorsThe available colors are also different. The 42mm is available in three colors;
- Rose Gold-tone case/Rose Gold-tone stainless steel straps.
- Gunmetal case/Gunmetal stainless steel straps.
- Rose-Gold case/Purple silicone straps.
- Smoke stainless steel case/smoke stainless steel straps.
- Black stainless Steel case/brown leather straps.
- Black stainless steel case/green Camo Grosgrain straps.
- Black stainless steel case/black silicone straps.
The 42mm rose-gold and gunmetal colors are priced at $320 same as the 44mm smoke color. Every other color is priced at $300.
Although the 42mm is more compact than the 44mm size, both have the same display size of 1.28 inches. This is because it has a slimmer bezel compared to the 44mm. Moreover, the bezel has very stunning engravings that makes it more stylish and classy than the 44mm size.
Fossil Gen 6 (42mm) vs (44mm): Which is Better?
Obviously, each of these two sizes has similar features except for slight differences. The 42mm size is a more compact smartwatch and that makes it ideal for women and individuals with a slim wrist. Moreover, going by the design of its bezel and slimmer strap, it’s a charming smartwatch that will look good on women. On the other hand, the 44mm is bigger in size, it’s a more suitable watch for men.
Fossil Gen 6 Features
- It comes with a 1.28 inches Always-on AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla glass covering the screen. Navigation is via touchscreen and 3 physical buttons (2 push-in buttons and 1 rotating button).
- The case is made of stainless steel, same as the bezel. The 44mm size supports 22mm interchangeable straps.
- Comes with preloaded sport modes.
- You get access to lots of apps like Google Assistant, Google Play store, Spotify and more.
- Clock features include time/date, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Customize the watch face from available watch faces or download watch faces from the pool of many watch faces available on the app store.
- Find my phone, control music on Smartphone and also use remote camera to take photo.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important notifications. You can also reply to messages (Android only).
- Rated 3ATM (swim-proof).
- Compatible with both Android 6.0+ and iOS 12.0+ devices.
- Inbuilt microphone supports Google Assistant and with a loudspeaker, you can make and receive calls directly from the phone via Bluetooth. Thus, you can make and receive calls directly from the watch, but your phone must be nearby.
- 8GB onboard storage capacity lets you take your music and playlists with you.
- Inbuilt NFC supports Google Pay that lets you make payment directly from the watch on the go.
- Custom battery saver modes allow you to get a little longer battery life.
- There are lots of preloaded apps like Google Assistant, Spotify and more to choose from.
Fossil Gen 6 Fitness Tracking Features
- It comes with inbuilt GPS that allow you track your outdoor activities like routes and location which can then be viewed from the companion app.
- It can track your sleep stages with the Fossil sleep tracking app.
- Heart rate monitor tracks your heart rate so you can see your heart rate in real-time and also get to manage the intensity of your training.
- Features lots of preset sport modes.
- Tracks your steps, distance, cardio level, calories and sedentary reminder.
- It is equipped with an altimeter that enable you manage and monitor elevation changes.
- It comes with a compass that can help you in navigating and finding your geographical orientation.
- NEW: It comes with an SpO2 sensor that enables you to measure blood oxygen levels – a critical indicator of how well your blood utilizes oxygen.
Fossil Gen 6 Pros
- Classy, stylish and durable design.
- 8GB music storage capacity.
- NFC onboard supports Google Pay.
- A fitness-focused smartwatch.
- Snapdragon 4100+ chip boosts performance significantly.
- Inbuilt microphone and loudspeaker (make and receive calls from watch).
- Custom battery saver modes keeps you connected longer.
Fossil Gen 6 Cons
- Battery life is not so great.
- Quite heavy.