Garmin Epix (Gen 2) Sapphire Specifications, Features and Price
- Release date:: January, 2022
- Display:: 1.3 inches, Transflective (MIP) LCD
- Body:: Silicone, Fiber-reinforced polymer
- Battery Life:: 16 days
- Storage:: 32GB ROM
- Compatibility:: Android 7.0+ and iOS 13.0+
|Design:||(4.8 / 5)|
|Battery:||(4.8 / 5)|
|Fitness tracking:||(4.7 / 5)|
|Features:||(4.4 / 5)|
|Price:||(3.5 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.4 / 5)|
Garmin Epix Sapphire Full Specifications, Features, Pros and Cons – Released alongside the Fenix 7 series is the Epix (GEN 2) which succeeds the Epix (Gen 1) released seven years ago. The Epix comes with the same features as the Fenix 7 series. However, the Epix units come with a more colorful and brighter AMOLED display compared to the transflective memory-in-pixel display of Fenix 7. It’s a fully equipped GPS smartwatch that comes with preloaded topographical, road/trail and ski maps. The base model comes with only preloaded ski maps with the option to download additional maps which can be done directly from the watch using the new map manager map.
The difference between the Epix and Fenix 7 is that the former comes with a more colorful display and it doesn’t have a solar model like the Fenix 7. Beyond this, both Fenix 7 and Epix series have the same features.
Garmin Epix Standard vs Epix Sapphire
The Epix Gen 2 comes in two units; Epix Sapphire and the base model. The difference between these two is that the Sapphire unit has a more durable build and comes with a higher 32GB storage as against 16GB of the base model. It also supports multi-band GPS and comes with a preloaded topographical map, road and & trail map, and ski resort map. The base model only comes with a preloaded ski resort map, but you can still download the other two and more using the map manager app on the watch.
Garmin Epix Sapphire – Design, display, media storage, activity tracking and more
The Epix (Gen 2) comes in two models; Epix Standard and Epix Sapphire. The difference between these two is that the Sapphire unit has a more durable build consisting of Sapphire glass protecting the display and a titanium bezel. It also comes with preloaded topographical, road/trail and ski resort maps, it also supports multi-band GPS for greater accuracy in location tracking, and has a higher 32GB storage capacity. The Base model comes with only preloaded ski resort maps, 16GB storage, has a Corning Gorilla Glass DX and stainless steel bezel. You can still download additional maps to the watch.
The Epix Sapphire has a very durable and premium build. It has a fiber-polymer case with a titanium rear cover, and a 22mm silicone straps that can be changed. The bezel is made of titanium while Sapphire glass protects the display. It has same 47 x 47 x 14.5mm size as the Fenix 7 units, and it’s rated 10ATM.
The main difference between the Epix and Fenix 7 is the display type. The Epix has AMOLED powering its 1.3 inches display just like the Venu 2 series. It supports touchscreen alongside 5 physical buttons and a revamped interface that makes it very easy to interact with the watch. You can always change the watch face as wish.
Beyond the premium build, Epix is very fitness-focused. With a handful of sensors built-in, it will track all the basics such as your heart rate, steps, sleep, calories, blood oxygen, floors climbed, respiratory rate and more.
New HIIT workout has been added as well as kiteboard, snowshoe and windsurfs sport profiles.
The Sapphire unit comes with preloaded topographical, road and ski resort maps. You can still download additional maps using the map manager app.
Epix Sapphire comes with a massive 32GB storage capacity with Spotify, Deezer and Amazon Music supported. You can download your playlists from any of these services (payment maybe required), then pair a Bluetooth headphone to listen to music.
Epix also has a decently long battery life of up to 16 days and up to 42hrs in GPS-only mode.
Garmin Epix Sapphire Features
- 1.3 inches transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) display, bright and easy to read outdoors. Touchscreen display with 5 physical buttons.
- Clock features include time/date, GPS time sync, auto daylight saving, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Download watch faces, widgets, data fields and apps from the Garmin Connect IQ Store.
- Garmin Connect app now available on the watch. (NEW)
- Features widget watch face that lets you add your favorite complications.
- Calls reject/text response with preset texts (Android only). Also reply to notifications with preset replies.
- Find my phone, watch, control music on smartphone and remote camera control.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important updates recieved on your phone.
- Rated 10ATM (swim-proof).
- 22mm interchangeable straps with quick release feature.
- Compatible with both Android 7.0+ and iOS 13.0+ devices.
- Sync and upload data from watch to the Garmin Connect community – a thriving community of fitness enthusiasts where you can connect and share.
- 32GB onboard storage capacity with support for streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer and Amazon Music. You can also download playlists then listen via a Bluetooth headphone.
Garmin Epix Sapphire Activity Tracking Features
- Safety and Tracking features include,
- Tactical features include,
- Activity Tracking features include ,
- Gym and Fitness Equipment include ,
- Training, Planning, and Analysis features include ,
- Heart Rate Tracking features includes,
- Running features include ,
- Golfing features includes,
- Outdoor recreational features includes,
- Cycling features include ,
- Swim tracking features includes,
LiveTrack that lets you invite others to join in your training goals and group LiveTrack that lets you invite more people to join in your training activities. Others include incidental fall detection that enables the watch call a preset emergency contact (phone must be enarby), live event sharing that lets you share your training activities with members of the Garmin Connect community, plus Group LiveTrack and Assistance.
Steps counter, sleep monitoring, calories, floors climbed, distance traveled, intensity minutes, fitness age, TrueUp, Move IQ, and all-day stress tracking.
Cardio, strength. HIIT, and pilates workouts. Others include onscreen animated workouts and automatic rep counting. Available gym profiles are strength, HIIT, cardio and elliptical training, stair-stepping, floor climbing, indoor rowing, pilates and yoga.
Downloadable training plans, respiration rate (during exercise), customizable activity profiles, VO2 max, activity history on watch, GPS speed and distance, create custom activity profiles, advanced workouts the new real-time stamina.
Others are training load, training status, training effect, improved recovery time, daily suggested workouts, Trendline™ Popularity Routing, auto and manual multisport activities, Garmin live segments, course guidance, custom alerts and more.
HR zones, HR alerts, HR calories, % HR max, %HRR, HRV stress test, recovery time and HR broadcast data to paired device.
GPS-based distance, time and pace, run workouts, foot pod capable, cadence (real-time steps/min), stride length, running dynamics, race predictor, performance condition and lactate threshold that analysis HR and pace to estimate when the muscles begin to fatigue and PacePro.
Available run profiles include running, track running, treadmill running, indoor track running, trail running, virtual running and ultra running.
Yardage to layups, yardage to front/middle/back, measures short distance, digital scorecard, custom targets, full vector map, auto courseview updates, hazards and course targets, pinpointer, playslike distance, touch-targeting, handicap scoring, Truswing compatible, round timer, tournament legal and preloaded with 42000 courses worldwide.
Point-to-point navigation, bread crumb trail in real-time, back to start, TracBack, UltraTrac mode, around me mode, up ahead, elevation profile, distance to destination, barometric trend indicator with storm alert, ClimbPro ascent planner, total descent/ascent, future elevation plot, preloaded topographical maps, preloaded road and trail maps, preloaded ski resort maps and more.
Available outdoor recreational profiles include hiking, indoor climbing, bouldering, climbing, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, xc skiing, stand-up paddleboarding, rowing, kayaking, surfing, hunting, jumpmaster, tactical, kiteboard, windsurf and snowshoe.
time/distance alerts, courses, cycle map (routable), MTB grit and flow, bike lap and lap max. power, race an activity, functional threshold power, compatible with Vector™, power meter compatible, advanced vector support, compatible with Varia Vision™, compatible with Varia™ Radar, compatible with Varia™ Lights and supports speed and cadence sensor.
Available cycling profiles include biking, indoor biking, mountain biking and triathlon.
Drill logging (pool swim only), basic rest timer (pool swim only), auto rest (pool swim only), time/distance alerts, pacing alerts (pool swim only), countdown start (pool swim only), pool swim workouts, critical swim speed and underwater wrist-based heart rate.
Open-water swim metrics include distance, pace, stroke count/rate, stroke distance, swim efficiency (SWOLF) and calories.
Pool swim metrics include lengths, distance, pace, stroke count, swim efficiency (SWOLF) and calories.
Stroke type detection includes freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly (pool swim only). Available swim profiles include pool swimming, open water swimming and swimming/running.
- Premium design, rugged, compact and stylish design.
- Up to 16 days long battery life.
- Bright and colorful AMOLED display.
- A comprehensive activity tracker.
- Rated (10ATM) Swim-proof.
- Multi-band GPS support for better tracking accuracy.
- Multisport GPS smartwatch with preloaded and downloadable maps.
- Make payment on the go with Garmin Pay.
- 32GB onboard music storage.
- Lacks microphone and loudspeaker.
- Quite expensive.
- Quite heavy and thick.
Garmin Epix Review
Garmin Epix (Gen 2) Sapphire
Epix (Gen 2) Sapphire, Epix (Gen 2) Standard
47 x 47 x 14.5 mm
Fiber-reinforced polymer, Titanium rear
Carbon-gray case/black-band, White case/white band
416 x 416 px
|Custom watch face|
5 Physical buttons, Touchscreen
Galileo, GLONASS, GPS
Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
|Memory card slot|
|Third-party apps alert|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)|
|Heart rate monitoring|
|Underwater heart rate tracking|
GPS-only mode: Up to 42hrs (30hrs always-on), Smartwatch mode: Up to 16 days (6 days always-on)
Android 7.0+, iOS 13.0+
|Find my phone|
Charger, Garmin Epix Sapphire, Manual, Straps
There are no reviews yet.