Garmin Forerunner 55 Specifications – Features – Pros – Cons and Prices
- Release date:: June, 2021
- Display:: 1.04 inches, Transflective (MIP) LCD
- Body:: Silicone, Fiber-reinforced polymer
- Battery Life:: 14 days
- Compatibility:: Android 6.0+ and iOS 13.0+
|Design:||(4.2 / 5)|
|Battery:||(4.4 / 5)|
|Fitness tracking:||(4.2 / 5)|
|Features:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Price:||(3.9 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.1 / 5)|
Garmin Forerunner 55 Specifications, Features, Pros, and Cons – The Forerunner 55 is a mid-range GPS running smartwatch from Garmin. It is a successor to the Forerunner 45/45S. It’s compact and very lightweight – attributes that make it a decent and comfortable fitness smartwatch. It is also very well equipped with lots of activity tracking features, as well as the ability to manage notifications from your phone, while you can get up to two weeks long battery life. It comes with more activity tracking features and has a longer battery life than its predecessor.
Garmin Forerunner 55 DesignThe Garmin Forerunner 55 is a very lightweight smartwatch that weighs only 37 grams, thanks to the fiber-polymer case. The straps are made of silicone and can be changed with 20mm compatible straps. The display is powered by transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) which powers most of Garmin’s smartwatches. It is rated 5ATM which makes it waterproof up to 50 meters. Available colors include black, white, and aqua.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Activity Tracking
As per fitness tracking, the Forerunner 55 boasts a lot of activity tracking features. It comes with a heart rate sensor, accelerometer, and inbuilt GPS that enable a host of features. Some of the basics include tracking your sleep, heart rate, calories, steps, heart rate plus alerts for abnormal heart rate. With inbuilt GPS, this device is equipped to track outdoor activities like your location and routes.
Some of Garmin’s advanced features are also present like the PacePro that helps you plan your race. There is also Racepredictor that takes into account your fitness level and training history to help you work toward your race goal. You also get menstrual cycle tracking for women, recovery time, and loads of preset workout modes.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Notifications
Garmin Forerunner 55 is also equipped to help you manage notifications you recieve on your phone. You will need to enable this from the Garmin Connect app. This app is compatible with both Android and iOS. You also get the “find my phone” and “find my watch” features.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Battery Life
The battery life of the Forerunner 55 is longer than that of its predecessor. It has about two weeks of battery life in smartwatch mode and about 20 hours with continuous GPS tracking.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Features
- It comes with a 1.04 inches transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) display that is bright and easy to read outdoors.
- Features lots of preset sport modes to choose from.
- Clock features include time/date, GPS time sync, auto daylight saving, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Download watch faces, widgets, data fields and apps from the Garmin Connect IQ Store.
- Find my phone, find my watch and control music on smartphone.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important updates.
- It is rated 5ATM which represents 50 meters waterproof rating (swim-proof).
- 20mm interchangeable straps with quick release feature.
- You can download custom watch faces, add data fields, and get apps and widgets from the Connect IQ Store.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Check if your device is compartible
- Sync and upload data from watch to the Garmin Connect community – a thriving community of fitness enthusiasts where you can connect and share.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Activity Tracking Features
- Health Monitoring features include
- Safety and Tracking Features include
- Activity Tracking Features include
- Gym and Fitness Equipment include
- Heart Rate Tracking Features include
- Training, Planning, and Analysis Features include
- Running Features include
- Outdoor Recreational Features include
- Cycling Features include
- Swim Tracking Features include
Heart rate monitoring with abnormal heart rate alerts. A battery energy monitor gives you insight into your fitness level to help you know the best time to train. Also, fitness age shows if your body is older or younger than your age. Others include sleep tracking, menstrual cycle tracking for women, hydration tracking, stress monitoring, and sedentary reminders.
LiveTrack lets you invite others to join in your training goals and group LiveTrack lets you invite more people to join in your training activities.
Features Incidental fall detection and assistant that let you seek help when a fall has occurred. Holding the light button down until you feel the watch vibrate 3 times will automatically send your location to preset emergency contacts when an incidental fall or a problem has happened (phone must be connected to the watch to enable this feature).
Also available is live event sharing that lets you share your training activities with members of the Garmin Connect community.
Steps counter, sleep monitoring, calories, distance traveled, intensity minutes, TRUEUP and MOVE IQ.
Cardio and elliptical training, stair stepping, HIIT, pilates and yoga
HR zones, HR alerts, HR calories, and HR broadcast data to the paired device. Also available, are recovery time that measures how well you’ve recovered from previous training, helping you train at the best time.
Downloadable training plans, VO2 max, activity history on watch, GPS speed and distance, create custom activity profiles, advanced workouts, and more.
In addition, recovery time lets you see an estimate of when you will be fit for the next training. This can help you plan and train more effectively.
GPS-based distance, time and pace, run workouts, foot pod capable, Racepredictor and PacePro.
Available run profiles include running, treadmill running, track running, indoor track running, and virtual running. Other running features include cadence and run workouts.
Area calculation (yes, via connect iq™), hunt/fish calendar (yes, via connect iq™), sun and moon information (yes, via connect iq™).
Alerts trigger an alarm when you reach goals including time, distance, heart rate, or calories. Also features speed and cadence sensor support. Available cycling profiles include biking and indoor biking.
Pool swim metrics include lengths, distance, pace, stroke count, swim efficiency (swolf), and calories.
Stroke type detection include freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly (pool swim only).
Other features include drill logging (pool swim only), basic rest timer (up from 0) (pool swim only), “repeat on” rest timer (pool swim only), auto rest (pool swim only), time and distance alerts and countdown start (pool swim only).
Also features underwater heart rate tracking. Available swim profiles include pool swimming.
- Lightweight and compact design.
- Comprehensive activity tracker.
- 2 weeks long battery life.
- Lacks microphone and loudspeaker.
- Lacks music storage.
- Lacks blood oxygen measurement.
- Lacks atimeter that enables floor climbing.
- Lacks Garmin Pay.
Garmin Forerunner 55 Review
Garmin Forerunner 55
Garmin Forerunner 45
42 x 42 x 11.6 mm
LCD, Memory-in-pixel (MIP), transflective
208 x 208 pixels
|Custom watch face|
(not touchscreen), 5 Physical buttons
Galileo, GLONASS, GPS
|Memory card slot|
|Third-party apps alert|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)|
|Heart rate monitoring|
|Incidental fall detection|
|Underwater heart rate tracking|
GPS mode: Up to 20 hours, Smartwatch mode: Up to 2 weeks
Android 6.0+, iOS 13.0+
|Find my phone|
Charger, Garmin Forerunner 55, Manual, Straps