There is a new fitness tracker from Fitbit, it’s the Fitbit Luxe. It’s a new product with a totally different design and appearance, although it shares a lot in common with Fitbit Charge 4 and Inspire 2. Fitbit Luxe is a compact smartband with a very stylish design. It comes in a stainless steel case paired with interchangeable silicone straps. It is the first Fitbit smartband to be powered by AMOLED which is very rich in colors, while the battery life is expected to last up to 5 days. It’s equipped with a variety of fitness-focused features such as SpO2 measurement, heart rate sensor, sleep tracking, stress management, and many more. It however lacks inbuilt GPS which is a big setback but can still track your outdoor activities via connected phone GPS.
The Luxe is expected to start shipping later this month, and it comes in two models; standard and special editions. These two models are just about the same in every aspect except for the very stylish Gorjana bands that come with the Special edition which will cost you about $50 more. In this review, we take a look at what Fitbit Luxe has got to offer and of course the difference between the Standard and Special edition.
Fitbit Luxe Standard vs Special Edition: Specifications Compared
Fitbit Luxe Full Specifications, Features and Prices
Fitbit Luxe (Special Edition) Specifications, Features and Prices
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Fitbit Luxe (Standard edition)||Fitbit Luxe (Special Edition)|
|Device type||Fitness smartband||Fitness smartband|
|Release date||June, 2021||June, 2021|
|Versions||Standard edition & Special edition||Standard edition & Special edition|
|Dimension||36.3 x 17.5 x 10 mm||36.3 x 17.5 x 10 mm|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap material||Silicone||Stainless steel|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap size||140 – 180mm (small), 180 -220mm (big)||140 – 180mm (small), 180 -220mm (big)|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass||Corning Gorilla Glass|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Graphite/black, Lunar/white, Platinum/orchid||soft-gold Gorjana strap/soft-gold case|
|Display size||0.76 inch||0.76 inch|
|Display resolution||124 x 206 px||124 x 206 px|
|Pixel density||326 ppi||326 ppi|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v4.0||Bluetooth v4.0|
|GPS||(connected GPS), No||(connected GPS), No|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Other sensors||Red and infrared sensors, Vibration motor||Red and infrared sensors, Vibration motor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||No||No|
|Battery type||non-removable Lithium-polymer||non-removable Lithium-polymer|
|Battery life||Regular: 5 days+||Regular: 5 days+|
|Charging type||Charging dock||Charging dock|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Operating system||Fitbit OS||Fitbit OS|
|Companion app||Fitbit App||Fitbit App|
|Compatibility||Android OS 8.0+, iOS 13.3+||Android OS 8.0+, iOS 13.3+|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Fitbit Luxe, Manual, Straps (small & large)||Charger, Fitbit Luxe, Manual, Straps (small & large)|
Fitbit Luxe Design
Fitbit Luxe is a compact and lightweight smartband built with fitness enthusiasts in mind. It has a small 0.76-inch display that is powered by AMOLED. This will offer a richer and better viewing experience just like you would with Versa 3 or Sense. This is also one aspect where the Luxe shines over Charge 4.
The case is made of stainless steel which contributes to its stylish appearance. The straps are made of silicone and are interchangeable with any compatible band of your choice. Out of the box, the Luxe comes with both large and small straps. The small strap fits wrist of 5.5″ – 7.1″ in circumference, while the large straps fit the wrist 7.1″ – 8.7″ in circumference.
The only difference between Fitbit Luxe Standard and Special Edition comes in the type of band that comes with the smartband. While the Standard edition comes with silicone straps (small & large), the Special edition model comes with a soft gold stainless steel Gorjana Parker link bracelet in addition to a Peony classic band (small & large). For this, you will have to pay $50 more for the special edition. In addition, while the Standard edition is available in three colors; black band/graphite case, white band/soft-gold case and orchid band/platinum case, the Special edition is available in one color, soft-gold Gorjana strap/soft-gold case.
Fitbit Luxe is rated 5ATM just like many Fitbit wearables. This means it’s swim-proof, you can wear it to the swimming pool, but diving with it is not recommended.
Fitbit Luxe Fitness Tracking Features
Moving away from the design, Fitbit Luxe is decently equipped with a handful of sensors which includes a heart rate sensor, accelerometer, and Red and infrared sensors for oxygen saturation (SpO2) measurement.
This enables the Luxe to track your steps, daily calories burnt, heart rate, sleep, stress, and blood oxygen. Like I mentioned earlier, there is no inbuilt GPS in the Fitbit Luxe which for me is a very big disappointment. However, you can still track your outdoor activities as long as you carry your phone along. I have never found it convenient to carry my phone along while running outdoor.
There are 20 sport modes to choose from, you can also select about 6 exercises to auto-detect and track with Fitbit SmartTrack. It also features menstrual cycle tracking for women.
Upon checkout, you can choose to optin for Fitbit Premium which offers deeper insights that connect the dots across your activity, heart rate, stress and sleep so you can make smarter choices about your health.
Fitbit Luxe Battery Life
Fitbit states that the Luxe is tested to last up to 5 days. This is great as it allows you go multiple days from a single charge. It also means that you will most likely need to charge this device every 2 days or more depending on usage.
Fitbit Luxe Text, SMS and App Notifications
You can also manage text, SMS, and other notifications you receive on your phone with Fitbit Luxe. This can be setup from the Fitbit app. You will also find the “do not disturb mode” and “sleep mode” that allows you to choose when to mute notifications and any other form of distraction.
Fitbit Luxe Features
- 0.76 inch AMOLED full color display with touchscreen support for easy navigation.
- Comes with a case made of stainless steel the straps are made of silicone and can be changed. The Luxe is available in three colors; black band/graphite case, white band/lunar case and orchid band/platinum case, while the Special edition is available in one color, lunar Gorjana strap/lunar case.
- Customizable watch face. You can choose from the many watch faces on Fitbit App.
- Features both a timer and a stopwatch.
- Up to 5 days or more battery life.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important SMS, calls and other Apps notifications.
- It is rated 5ATM and is also Swim-proof.
- Features “do not disturb mode” that allows you to mute call, text and smartphone notifications during the day.
- Features “Sleep mode” that allows you to automatically mute smartphone notifications at night and stop your screen from turning on so you can catch uninterrupted sleep.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices, Check supported devices
Fitbit Luxe Fitness Tracking Features
- Equipped to track your steps, distance, and calories all day long.
- Tracks your sleep in four stages and allows you see your time in awake, light, deep and REM sleep stages. You’ll also get a daily Sleep Score in the Fitbit app and on your wrist to better understand your sleep quality each night.
- Active Zone Minutes help you make every minute count during workouts by buzzing your wrist when you enter your personalized target heart rate zone. This feature rewards you for time spent in a vigorous or moderate activity that increases your heart rate.
- Helps you reduces stress with 2 and 5 minute guided breathing sessions that are personalized based on your heart rate.
- Although lacks inbuilt GPS, Fitbit Luxe will still track your outdoor activities such as routes, pace and locations when you carry your phone along.
- Features menstrual cycle tracking that allow you to log periods, record symptoms, track your ovulation and discover patterns in your cycle from the Fitbit App.
- Tracks fitness level to help you get a better understanding of your fitness level and learn how you can improve over time with a personalized in-app Cardio Fitness Score.
- You can select up to 6 activities which include running, walking and more to auto track with SmartTrack.
- Features SpO2 blood oxygen measurement that allows you to see the level of oxygen in your blood to help you learn when there may be an indication of important changes in your fitness and wellness. You can see your SpO2 nightly average and range on wrist with an SpO2 clock face and on Fitbit Today.
- Up to 20 preloaded sport modes.
Which is Better?
There is no significant difference between Fitbit Luxe Standard and Special Edition. Both models offer the same features except that the Spcial edition comes with a premium Gorjana strap that looks feminine in apperance although might also look nice on men. So, its up to you to decide if the Gorjana strap is worth the extra $50 or not.