Samsung’s new smartwatches the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and Galaxy Watch 4 are a beauty to behold. These two run on Wear OS 3 out of the box which is great news for Samsung fans who have had to endure the limited access to apps with Tizen. Even more is the new 5nm W920 chip which boasts a 20% and 10x increase in CPU and GPU performance respectively. The storage capacity has been increased to 16GB with the addition of body composition measurement alongside a long list of health tracking features. Like older Samsung smartwatches, both Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic come in two sizes: 44mm/40mm and 46mm/42mm respectively. In this post, we’ll be comparing the difference between the Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) vs (40mm) to help you decide which is the right size for you.
Note that both the 44mm and 40mm are available in Bluetooth and LTE models. The LTE is a standalone smartwatch and is priced higher than the Bluetooth model. You can read the difference between the two.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) vs (40mm): Full Specifications Comparison
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (40mm) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm)||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (40mm)|
|Device type||Fitness/Sport smartwatch||Fitness/Sport smartwatch|
|Release date||August, 2021||August, 2021|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2|
|Versions||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE|
|Dimension||44.4 x 43.3 x 9.8 mm||40.4 x 39.3 x 9.8 mm|
|Weight||30g (excluding straps)||26g (excluding straps)|
|Case material||Armor Aluminum||Armor Aluminum|
|Strap material||Fluoroelastomer, Hybrid leather||Fluoroelastomer, Hybrid leather|
|Bezel material||Armor Aluminum||Armor Aluminum|
|Strap size||22 mm||20 mm|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla glass DX+||Corning Gorilla glass DX+|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Black, Green, Silver||Black, Pink-gold, Silver|
|Display size||1.4 inches||1.2 inches|
|Display type||Super AMOLED, Full color||Super AMOLED, Full color|
|Display resolution||450 x 450||396 x 396 pixels|
|Pixel density||454.5 PPI||466.7 PPI|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v5.0||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||Yes||Yes|
|Other sensors||BIA sensor||BIA sensor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||Yes||Yes|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||—||—|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||~2 days||Regular: 24hrs+|
|Charging type||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Chipset||Exynos W920||Exynos W920|
|CPU||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)|
|GPU||Mali™-G68 MP2||Mali™-G68 MP2|
|Operating system||Wear OS/Tizen||Wear OS/Tizen|
|Companion app||Samsung Health App||Samsung Health App|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+|
|Payment system||Samsung Pay||Samsung Pay|
|Interchangeable strap||22 mm, Yes||20mm, Yes|
|Voice command||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, Straps||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, Straps|
Difference Between Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) and (40mm)
Prices – The 40mm size is cheaper
Starting with the prices, the 44mm is priced higher than the 40mm size. This is because it has a bigger display that lets you see more. It also has a bigger battery capacity that allows you to go longer.
The 40mm Bluetooth model costs $249.99, while the 44mm Bluetooth model costs $279.99. On the other hand, the 40mm LTE model costs $299.99, while the 44mm LTE model costs $329.99.
Design – The 40mm is a more compact smartwatch
The 44mm has a dimension of 44 x 43.3 x 9.8mm and weighs just 30g (excluding straps) while the 40mm size has a dimension of 40.4 x 39.3 x 9.8mm and weighs just 26g (excluding straps). Even though the 44mm is bigger and weighs more than the 40mm size, these two are some of the most compact smartwatches and also the slimmest smartwatches ever seen. Moreover, going by their weights, each of these two is very very lightweight. You probably will forget you’re wearing something on your wrist. I must say kudos to Samsung!
The available colors differ. The 44mm is available in black, green, and silver colors, while the 40mm is available in black, silver, and pink-gold colors.
The strap sizes also differ. The 44mm is compatible with 22mm-wide standard straps while the 40mm is compatible with 20mm-wide straps.
Beyond this, both sizes have the same armor aluminum case paired with fluoroelastomer or hybrid leather straps. Both are also rated 5ATM which means these two are waterproof up to 50 meters.
Display – The 44mm has a bigger display size
The 44mm has a bigger display size than the 40mm size. It has 1.4 inches as against 1.2 inches of the 40mm. So you get to see a little more with the 44mm. Although, the 1.2 inches size of the 40mm is still okay. Both sizes are equipped with a touchscreen, digital rotating bezel, and two physical buttons for easy navigation.
Battery Life – The 44mm has a longer battery life
The 44mm also has a longer battery life than the 40mm size. It comes with a 361mAh battery capacity compared to 247mAh of the 40mm size. That’s the sacrifice to pay for the more compact size. As a result, the 44mm can keep you going for up to 2 days from a single charge compared to about a day+ of the 40mm.
There are power-saving modes that can help you get longer battery life. Some tips to elongate battery life are to deactivate the always-on display, reduce brightness, and turn on notifications for fewer apps.
Beyond the differences mentioned above, each of the sizes comes with a 16GB and is also equipped with the same number of health and activity tracking features.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Features
Both sizes of the Galaxy Watch 4 have the same armor aluminum case paired with fluoroelastomer or hybrid leather straps. The straps can be swapped with 20mm standard straps for the 40mm or 22mm for 44mm. Both sizes also have an AMOLED display as well as two physical buttons, a touchscreen, and a digital rotating bezel for effortless navigation.
Both are also equipped with loads of activity tracking features such as tracking your steps, floors climbed, distance covered, sleep, heart rate, SpO2 blood oxygen, ECG, blood pressure, and the newly added body composition measurement. There are over 90 preloaded sport modes to choose from and each of these also has an inbuilt GPS for outdoor activity tracking.
- Has a 1.4/1.2 inches always-on display powered by super AMOLED. Navigation is via touchscreen support, 2 physical buttons and a digital rotating bezel.
- Case is made of armor aluminum, bezel is also made of armor aluminum while straps are made of fluoroelastomer.
- It is available in black, green and silver colors (44mm), while the 40mm is available in black, pink-gold and silver colors
- Rated 5ATM (50 meters) Swim-proof and you can eject water from the loudspeaker after immersion in water.
- Watch face is interchangeable, and you can select from preloaded watch faces or choose more from the app store.
- Rugged smartwatch with MIL-STD-810G- US military grade rating for shock.
- Equipped with 16GB storage capacity allowing you store your favourite tracks. You can also stream music from popular services like Spotify. To get best music experience, connect a headphone.
- It is equipped with both a microphone and loudspeaker.
- Features voice assistant like Google Assistant and Bixby by Samsung that will allow you use your voice to do simple tasks.
- Features on-the-go non-contactless payment with Samsung pay. Google Pay is expected to also be available in the future.
- LTE model is a standalone smartwatches that allows you make and receive calls and receive messages independent of a smartphone.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you like email, SMS, reminders, weather forecast, unlock phone, music playback on phone, remote camera control and notifications from third-party apps are beamed to your watch.
- Equipped with 1.5GB RAM and a new 5nm W920 Exynos chip which according to Samsung enables 20% faster CPU and 10x faster GPU performance.
- Will run on the new Wear OS/Tizen operating system out of the box. It’s an overhauled OS with Samsung’s One UI 3.0 interface that enables better user experience plus access to more apps.
- Its compatible with Android 6.0 or higher, RAM 1.5GB above
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Fitness Tracking Features
- It will continuously track all the basic such as your steps, calories, distance and floors climbed.
- Comprehensively tracks your sleep in four stages; light, deep, awake and REM.
- Comprehensively tracks your heart rate continuously, and will show your average, maximum and resting heart rate.
- Allows you to measure your stress level and can help you manage stress via guided breathing sessions.
- There is an electrical heart sensor that will allow you take ECG tracking for irregular heart rhythms and can help you detect atrial fibrillations.
- Features blood pressure monitoring that allow you to easily measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. You must calibrate the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with a traditional cuff to get the best result. You will need to install the Samsung Health Monitor app to do this.
- There are about 90 preset workout modes for you to choose from with the ability to auto detect and track 7 of these.
- It features Spo2 measurement, a feature that allows you to measure your blood oxygen directly from the watch.
- Features incidental fall detection that will call preset emergency contacts when the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic detects a hard fall. It also features SOS emergency feature that allow you set emergency contacts the watch will auto call when you press the home button three times. It will also send messages to a preset emergency contact with your location.
- Tracks your fitness level and show your VO2 Max. after working out outdoors.
- There is the hand washing app that will remind to wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- New: Features Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) that will allow you measure your body composition. It will measure your body fat, body water, skeletal muscle mass and BMI.
- Compact, premium, stylish and lightweight design.
- A comprehensive fitness smartwatch.
- 16GB onboard music storage.
- Loudspeaker and microphone inbuilt.
- A rugged and durable device certified MIL-STD-810G.
- Has physical rotating bezel for easy navigation.
- Wear OS gives you access to more apps.
- Great performance with Exynos W920 and 1.5GB RAM.
- A standalone smartwatch
- Battery life is short.
- Not compatible with iOS devices.
- ECG, blood pressure and BIA might not work with non-Samsung phones.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) vs (40mm) – Which Size is Right For You?
In simple terms, the 40mm is a woman smartwatch. Its the perfect fit for individuals with thing wrists. On the other hand, the 44mm is more suitable for men and individuals with fat wrist.
To get the best choice, simply take a measurement of your wrist ankle and compare it to the size of the watch.
For instance, my wrist-ankle is 48mm wide, so I will definitely go for the 44mm size. If I go for the 40mm size, it will be too small on my wrist and it will look awkward.