The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic announced alongside Galaxy Watch 4 and released in 2021 are two of the best-selling smartwatches after the Apple watch. The new Samsung smartwatches run on Wear OS 3 out of the box and also come with a new 5nm Exynos W920 chip which Samsung says boasts a 20% increase in CPU performance and 10x increase in GPU performance. There is also the new Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) sensor that can measure your body composition. Storage capacity has been ramped up to 16GB alongside a whole lot of other features. Both Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic come in two sizes, however, in this post, we compare the difference between Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm vs 42mm so you know which is right for you.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes in two sizes; 46mm and 42mm. Each of these two is also available in Bluetooth and LTE models. The difference in size is obviously to give customers the option to choose the right size for their wrists since we all have different wrist sizes. So, clearly, the 46mm will be better for men and individuals with fat wrists, while the 42mm is more suitable for women and individuals with a slim wrist.
Apart from differences in the dimensions, weight, display size, price, and battery life, the 46mm and 42mm sizes have the same features.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm vs 42mm Full Specifications Comparison
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (46mm) (LTE) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (46mm) (LTE)||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (42mm) (LTE)|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic/Standalone smartwatch||Fitness/Classic/Standalone smartwatch|
|Release date||August, 2021||August, 2021|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Watch 3||Samsung Galaxy Watch 3|
|Successor||Galaxy Watch 5 Pro||Galaxy Watch 5 Pro|
|Versions||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE|
|Dimension||45.5 x 45.5 x 11.0 mm||41.5 x 41.5 x 11.2mm|
|Weight||52g (excluding straps)||47g (excluding straps)|
|Case material||Stainless steel 316L||Stainless steel 316L|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel 316L||Stainless steel 316L|
|Strap size||20 mm||20 mm|
|Interchangeable strap||20mm, Yes||20mm, Yes|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass DX||Corning Gorilla Glass DX|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Black, Silver||Black, Silver|
|Display size||1.4 inches||1.2 inches|
|Display type||Super AMOLED, Full color||Super AMOLED, Full color|
|Display resolution||450 x 450||396 x 396 pixels|
|Pixel density||454.5 PPI||466.7 PPI|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v5.0||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Technology||GSM / HSPA / LTE||GSM / HSPA / LTE|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||Yes||Yes|
|Other sensors||BIA sensor||BIA sensor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||Yes||Yes|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||—||—|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||~2 days||Regular: 24hrs+|
|Charging type||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Chipset||Exynos W920||Exynos W920|
|CPU||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)|
|GPU||Mali™-G68 MP2||Mali™-G68 MP2|
|Operating system||Wear OS 3.5||Wear OS 3.5|
|Companion app||Samsung Galaxy Wearable app||Samsung Galaxy Wearable app|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+|
|Payment system||Google Pay, Samsung Pay||Google Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Voice command||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, Straps||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, Straps|
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm vs 42mm – The Difference
Design – The 42mm is more compact, but the 46mm will let you see more at a glance
The dimension and displays of the 46mm and 42mm sizes differ. Although both sizes have the same stainless steel case and same stainless steel physical rotating bezel. The straps are made of the same fluoroelastomer material. However, the 46mm has a 45.5 x 45.5 x 11mm dimension and weighs 52g while the 42mm has a 41.5 x 41.5 x 11.2mm dimension and weighs 47g. So you can see that the 42mm is a more compact smartwatch. It also weighs slightly less than the 46mm size.
So, it’s a more comfortable smartwatch. Although the 46mm is not bulky and it’s also somewhat lightweight going by the average weights of smartwatches we have reviewed so far.
The display size differs between these two. The 46mm has a wider 1.4inches display compared to 1.2 inches of the 42mm. Thus, the 46mm size will allow you to see a little more at a glance. Though, 1.2 inches display isn’t so small. You should get a nice view of the display unless for individuals that have an eye problem.
Battery Life – The 46mm has a longer battery life
The 46mm comes with a 361mAh battery capacity while the 42mm comes with a 247mAh capacity. So, just like older Samsung smartwatches, the difference in battery capacity is also reflected in the battery life. In this regard, the 46mm has a longer battery life than the 42mm. The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic has up to 2 days of battery life, while the 42mm unit avergaes about 36hrs.
The Bluetooth model of the 46mm is priced at $379.99, while the 42mm is priced at $349.99.
The 42mm LTE unit costs $399.99, while the 46mm LTE unit costs $429.99. So, the 46mm will cost you more, this explains the larger display and longer battery life.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm vs 42mm – Which is Right For You?
Going by the sizes, the 42mm is a suitable fit for women and individuals with a slim wrist. On the other hand, the 46mm unit is a more suitable choice for men and individuals with moderate to fat wrist.
To make it easier, you can use a meter rule to measure the width of your wrist and then compare it to the size of the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. In my case, my wrist measures 45.7mm, so i settled for the 46mm unit.
Beyond the size factor, the 46mm is a better choice. It has a larger display and longer battery life but will cost you more money which is where the 42mm wins. On the other hand, the 42mm is cheaper and a more comfortable smartwatch to wear but has shorter battery life.
Beyond the differences in sizes, dimensions, battery life, and price, both sizes of the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic have the same features. Each of these two is a durable and sturdily built smartwatch with a vivid Super AMOLED display and as well rated 5ATM.
The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes with a handful of sensors that enables tracking of your steps, calories, heart rate, sleep, stress monitoring, SpO2, and more health tracking features. It’s a premium smartwatch with a focus on health tracking and productivity.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm/42mm Features
- Has a 1.4/1.2 inches always-on display powered by super AMOLED. Navigation is via touchscreen support, 2 physical buttons and a physical rotating bezel.
- Case is made of stainless steel, bezel is also made of stainless steel while straps are made of fluoroelastomer.
- Available in black and silver colors.
- Rated 5ATM (50 meters) Swim-proof and you can eject water from the loudspeaker after immersion in water.
- Watch face is interchangeable, and you can select from preloaded watch faces or choose more from the app store.
- Rugged smartwatch with MIL-STD-810G- US military grade rating for shock.
- Equipped with 16GB storage capacity allowing you store your favourite tracks. You can also stream music from popular services like Spotify. To get best music experience, connect a headphone.
- It is equipped with both a microphone and loudspeaker.
- Features voice assistant like Google Assistant (Not available yet) and Bixby by Samsung that will allow you use your voice to do simple tasks.
- Features on-the-go non-contactless payment with Samsung pay. Google Pay is expected to also be available in the future.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you like email, SMS, reminders, weather forecast, unlock phone, music playback on phone, remote camera control and notifications from third-party apps are beamed to your watch.
- Equipped with 1.5GB RAM and a new 5nm W920 Exynos chip which according to Samsung enables 20% faster CPU and 10x faster GPU performance.
- Will run on the new Wear OS/Tizen operating system out of the box. It’s an overhauled OS with Samsung’s One UI 3.0 interface that enables better user experience plus access to more apps.
- Its compatible with Android 6.0 or higher, RAM 1.5GB above
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm/42mm Fitness Tracking Features
- It will continuously track all the basic such as your steps, calories, distance and floors climbed.
- Comprehensively tracks your sleep in four stages; light, deep, awake and REM.
- Comprehensively tracks your heart rate continuously, and will show your average, maximum and resting heart rate.
- Allows you to measure your stress level and can help you manage stress via guided breathing sessions.
- There is an electrical heart sensor that will allow you take ECG tracking for irregular heart rhythms and can help you detect atrial fibrillations.
- Features blood pressure monitoring that allow you to easily measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. You must calibrate the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with a traditional cuff to get the best result. You will need to install the Samsung Health Monitor app to do this.
- There are about 90 preset workout modes for you to choose from with the ability to auto detect and track 7 of these.
- It features Spo2 measurement, a feature that allows you to measure your blood oxygen directly from the watch.
- Features incidental fall detection that will call preset emergency contacts when the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic detects a hard fall. It also features SOS emergency feature that allow you set emergency contacts the watch will auto call when you press the home button three times. It will also send messages to a preset emergency contact with your location.
- Tracks your fitness level and show your VO2 Max. after working out outdoors.
- There is the hand washing app that will remind to wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- New: Features Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) that will allow you measure your body composition. It will measure your body fat, body water, skeletal muscle mass and BMI.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Pros
- Premium, stylish and lightweight design.
- A comprehensive fitness smartwatch.
- 16GB onboard music storage.
- Loudspeaker and microphone inbuilt.
- A rugged and durable device certified MIL-STD-810G.
- Has physical rotating bezel for easy navigation.
- Wear OS gives you access to more apps.
- Great performance with Exynos W920 and 1.5GB RAM.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Cons
- Battery life is short.
- Not compatible with iOS devices.
- ECG, BP and BIA might not work with non-Samsung phones.