Featured in today’s comparison chart is Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – these are two high-end smartwatches. I have used both smartwatches for over 6 months, and in this review, I’ll be comparing these two head-to-head to help you decide which is right for you. If you’re a fan of Fitbit, you’ll agree with me that the Versa 3 is a really nice smartwatch, so also is the Galaxy Watch 3. What these two have in common include inbuilt GPS, on-wrist calls, loudspeakers, voice assistants, preset sport modes, AMOLED display, and a lot more.
A quick one, the Galaxy Watch 3 is a more sophisticated smartwatch than Versa 3. It has a more durable design, better interface, higher storage and allows you to store your personal music which you can’t do with Versa 3. It also has more fitness tracking features and a better way to manage your notifications compared to Versa 3. The only aspect where Versa 3 is better than Galaxy Watch 3 is that it has longer battery life.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3: Specifications Compared
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 (45mm) Full Smartwatch Specifications, Features and Price
Fitbit Versa 3 Full Specifications, Features and Price
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 (45mm) (Bluetooth)||Fitbit Versa 3|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic smartwatch||Fitness/Sport smartwatch|
|Release date||August, 2020||September, 2020|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Watch||Fitbit Versa 2|
|Versions||Bluetooth, LTE, Titanium||—|
|Dimension||46.2 x 45 x 11.1 mm||40.4 x 40.4 x 12.4 mm|
|Weight||53.8g (excluding straps)||—|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Aluminum|
|Strap material||Leather||Polyester, Silicone|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Aluminum|
|Strap size||22 mm||140 – 180mm (small), 180 -220mm (big)|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla glass DX+||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Mystic black, Mystic silver||Black/black, Midnight blue/gold, Pink/Gold|
|Display size||1.4 inches||1.58 inches|
|Display type||Super AMOLED, Full color||AMOLED|
|Display resolution||360 x 360 pixel||300 x 300 pixels|
|Pixel density||364 ppi||—|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen||1 Haptic button, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v5.0||Bluetooth v5.0|
|GPS||Galileo, Yes, GPS/GLONASS/BEIDOU||GLONASS, GPS|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Other sensors||—||Vibration motor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Incidental fall detection||Yes||No|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||non-removable Lithium-polymer|
|Battery life||Regular: 2 days+||Regular: 6 Days+|
|Charging type||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging||USB charging|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|CPU||Dual core 1.15GHz||—|
|Operating system||Tizen 5.5||Fitbit OS|
|Companion app||Samsung Health App||Fitbit App|
|Compatibility||Android 5.0+ & RAM 1.5GB+, iPhone 5+ and iOS 9.0+||Android, iOS|
|Payment system||Samsung Pay||Fitbit Pay|
|Interchangeable strap||22 mm, Yes||Yes|
|Voice command||Yes, Bixby||Yes, Alexa, Yes, Google Assistant|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, Straps||Charger, Fitbit Versa 3, Manual, Straps|
Don’t have time to read through? Watch the in-depth Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 comparison.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – Design Comparison
- DESIGN – Galaxy Watch 3 has a better design and a more attractive smartwatch than Versa 3
- ON-WRIST CALLS – Both smartwatches allow you make and receive calls directly from watch
- VOICE ASSISTANT – Versa 3 supports Google Assistant and Alexa which are far better than Bixby on Galaxy Watch 3
- MUSIC STORAGE – Galaxy Watch 3 has 8GB storage capacity and allows you to store your personal music which isn’t possible with Versa 3 that has only 4GB storage capacity
- STEPS TRACKING ACCURACY – Galaxy Watch 3 was more consistent than Versa 3
- SLEEP TRACKING ACCURACY – Again, Galaxy Watch 3 was more consistent than Versa 3
- HEART RATE TRACKING ACCURACY – Both smartwatches were consistent in tracking my heart rate
- INBUILT GPS ACCURACY – Both smartwatches were accurate in tracking my outdoor activities
- BLOOD OXYGEN TRACKING – Galaxy Watch 3 tracks your heart rate 24/7 unlike Versa 3 that only monitors blood oxygen when you sleep with the watch
- ECG TRACKING – Galaxy Watch 3 features ECG tracking not present on Versa 3
- BLOOD PRESSURE TRACKING – Galaxy Watch 3 features blood pressure monitoring not present on Versa 3
- ON-SCREEN ANIMTAED WORKOUT MODES – Versa 3 features animated workout modes not present on Galaxy Watch 3
- PRESET SPORT MODES – Galaxy Watch 3 features 90 preset sport modes compared to 20 on Versa 3
In terms of design, Galaxy Watch 3 has a better design than Versa 3. I don’t really know what your definition of a nice design is, but going by the material used for both smartwatches, the Galaxy Watch 3 has a stainless steel case accompanied by a leather strap, while Versa 3 has a case made of aluminum accompanied by a silicone strap.
You should also note that the Galaxy Watch 3 comes in two sizes; 41mm and 45mm unlike Veras 3 that is only available in one model and size. Versa 3 weighs less than Galaxy Watch 3, it’s also more compact. In other words, it’s more comfortable to wear.
The display of both smartwatches is powered by AMOLED, this is very colorful and easy to read both indoors and outdoors. I didn’t have any problem reading complications on the screen of any of these two. Navigation is also easy with both smartwatches. While Galaxy Watch 3 features two physical buttons, Versa 3 has a haptic button. Touchscreen is also supported on both smartwatches. However, I really find it easy to access the Galaxy Watch 3 compared to Versa 3.
When you talk about watch faces, you get tonnes of options to choose from on the respective apps; Galaxy Wearable app for Galaxy Watch 3 and Fitbit app for Versa 3. Although, I think the watch faces on the Galaxy store looked more realistic than what you get on the Fitbit app.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – Bluetooth Calls
Both smartwatches have a microphone and loudspeaker. So, you can make and receive calls directly from any of these two smartwatches. However, Galaxy Watch 3 is a better smartwatch as far as making and receiving calls with any of these two is concerned. It allows you to sync your phone contacts to the watch which makes it easy to make a call. Meanwhile, the Versa 3 will allow you to receive calls, but you can’t initiate a call from the watch. Although, you can make a call from Vesa 3 with Google Assistant.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – Voice Assistant
Voice assistant is one feature that’s readily available on high-end smartwatches. It makes it easy for you to do simple tasks like starting an exercise or setting up an alarm. In that regard, Versa 3 features both Google Assistant and Alexa which gives you more than enough options to use your voice. Google Assistant is more sophisticated as it allows you to start a call or even check the symptoms of diabetes which I couldn’t do with Alexa.
On the other hand, Bixby did well when you do simple tasks like setting up an alarm, but it was far from Google Assistant and Alexa.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – Storage Capacity and Music Storage
Galaxy Watch 3 with 8GB storage capacity has a higher storage capacity than Versa 3 which has only 4GB of storage. You can easily add your personal music to Galaxy Watch 3, but you can’t do that with Versa 3. Versa 3 only allows you to control the Spotify playlist on your phone, you can also download your Deezer playlist and your favorite Pandora stations.
It’s rather unfortunate to see that the Versa 2 allows you to add your personal music but you can’t do that with Versa 3 for now.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 vs Fitbit Versa 3 – Fitness/Activity Tracking Comparison
When you mention a smartwatch, what comes to mind is activity tracking which is at the center of both Galaxy Watch 3 and Versa 3. Both smartwatches feature lots of activity tracking capabilities which include heart rate tracking, sleep tracking, step counting, floor climbing, and more that can help you stay active. However, Galaxy Watch 3 is a more comprehensive fitness smartwatch than Versa 3.
I compared the Versa 3 steps tracking accuracy to Galaxy Watch 3 and Huawei Band 4 Pro, I discovered that the Galaxy Watch 3 was more consistent in counting my steps than Versa 3.
Both smartwatches will track your sleep in four stages; deep, REM, awake, and light stages of sleep. I wore both Galaxy Watch 3 and Versa 3 alongside Band 4 Pro to sleep several nights, and I found that Band 4 Pro and Galaxy Watch 3 had very close figures compared to Versa 3 which drifted far away.
I also compared these two to Mi Band 5, I also discovered that the Mi Band 5 and Galaxy Watch 3 were close compared to Versa 3 which again drifted far away.
So, I came to the conclusion that Galaxy Watch 3 was a more consistent sleep tracker than Versa 3.
In terms of heart rate tracking, both Galaxy Watch 3 and Versa 3 come with a sensor at the back which enables any of these two to measure your heart rate. I compared the heart rate tracking accuracy of both smartwatches, and I discovered that both were consistent in tracking my heart rate.]
One feature I really like in the Versa 3 is the built-in GPS that enables it to track your outdoor activities without having to carry your phone along. So, I also compared these two to the Band 4 Pro which also has an inbuilt GPS. The result I got showed that both Galaxy Watch 3 and Versa 3 were accurate in tracking my pace, routes, distance, max. and min. heart rate.
Galaxy Watch 3 features blood oxygen measurement that allows you to readily check how well your blood utilizes oxygen unlike Versa 3 which only measures your blood oxygen when you were it to sleep. The Versa 3 like Fitbit Sense will show your blood oxygen through Fitbit’s signature watch face which can be installed from the Fitbit app.
Galaxy Watch 3 features ECG tracking that allows you to easily measure ECG directly from the watch. This is a vital feature that can help you detect the irregular heart rhythm. (Remember, always consult your doctor before taking any medical action. Smartwatches are for information purposes only)
You will also find the blood pressure feature on Galaxy Watch 3. This allows you to measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. But first, you will have to calibrate the watch with a traditional cuff via the Samsung Health Monitor app. (Remember, always consult your doctor before taking any medical action. Smartwatches are for information purposes only)
Fitbit Versa 3 features onscreen animated workout modes that can coach you through some of your favorite workout moves. This feature isn’t present on Galaxy Watch 3.
Galaxy Watch 3 features 90 preset workout modes compared to only 20 on Versa 3. This means that you get more workout modes to choose from on Galaxy Watch 3 than on Versa 3.
Managing SMS, Calls and App Notifications
Managing notifications you receive on your phone through a smartwatch is a basic feature you will find on most smartwatches. In this regard, both Galaxy Watch 3 and Versa 3 allow you to easily manage notifications you receive on your phone. Versa 3 allows you to reply to notifications with preset quick replies, your voice, or emojis. However, Galaxy Watch 3 allows you to reply to notifications with your voice, emojis, preset quick replies or you can type the reply directly.
I like that the Galaxy Watch 3 automatically opens a chat window once you receive a message. It also allows you to add as many quick responses as possible unlike Versa 3 that supports a maximum of 5 preset replies.
Battery Life Comparison
I charged both smartwatches to full, set brightness to the maximum with always-on turned off. The result I got showed the Versa 3 lasted four (4) days+ compared to Galaxy Watch 3 which lasted barely two (2) days. So, Versa 3 has a longer battery life than Galaxy Watch 3.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 (45mm) Features
- Has a 1.4 inches always-on AMOLED display with touchscreen support, 2 physical buttons and physical rotating bezel.
- 5ATM (50 meters) Swim-proof, eject water from the loudspeaker after immersion in water.
- Over 50000 custom watch faces to choose from on Galaxy Store from both third-party and native watch face makers.
- Rugged smartwatch with MIL-STD-810G- US military grade rating for shock.
- 1GB RAM and 8GB storage capacity allowing you store your favourite tracks. To get best music experience, connect a headphone.
- Has microphone and loudspeaker.
- Use Bixby voice assistant to perform simple tasks and control smartthings devices with your voice.
- Contactless payment on the go with Samsung pay.
- There is also the phone contact app that will sync all contacts on your phone to watch. This can come handy when you leave your phone behind but still get access to your contacts.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you like email, SMS, reminders, weather forecast, unlock phone, music playback on phone, remote camera control and notifications from third-party apps are beamed to your watch.
- Shows image in a chat and chat history, as well access to use emoji, text or voice reply for notifications. You can also reply to notifications with preset quick replies.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 (45mm) Fitness Tracking Features
- Continuously tracks your steps, calories, distance and floors climbed.
- Comprehensively tracks your sleep in for stages; light, deep, awake and REM.
- Comprehensively tracks your heart rate continuously, and also shows your average, maximum and resting heart rate.
- Allows you to track your stress and helps you manage stress via guided breathing sessions.
- ECG tracking monitors irregular heart rhythms and can help you detect atrial fibrillations. Cleared by FDA in US. And also available in Europe and other parts of the world.
- Features blood pressure monitoring that allow you to easily measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. You must calibrate the Galaxy Watch 3 with a traditional cuff to get the best result. You will need to install the Samsung Health Monitor app to do this.
- There are about 90 preset workout modes for you to choose from with the ability to auto detect and track 7 of these.
- It features Spo2 measurement, a feature that allows you to measure your blood oxygen directly from the watch.
- Features incidental fall detection that will call preset emergency contacts when the Galaxy Watch 3 detects a fall.
- Tracks your fitness level and show your VO2 Max.
- Features 120 workout home videos that allows you cast workout videos to your TV and can display your tracked metrics on the TV as you train.
- There is the hand washing app that will remind to wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- Premium, stylish and lightweight design.
- A comprehensive fitness smartwatch.
- 8GB onboard music storage.
- Loudspeaker and microphone inbuilt.
- A rugged and durable device certified MIL-STD-810G.
- Slimmer and smoother physical rotating bezel for easy navigation.
- A very productive smartwatch
- 2 days battery life.
- Priced quite high.
Fitbit Versa 3 Features
- 1.58 inches AMOLED full color display with touchscreen support and a haptic button for easy navigation.
- Comes with a case made of aluminium, the straps are made of silicone and can be changed. The Versa 3 is available in four colors; black, blue, pink, and thistle colours.
- Customizable watch face. You can choose from the many watch faces on Fitbit App.
- Features both a timer and a stopwatch.
- Up to 6 days or more battery life.
- You can store over 300 of your favourite tracks. Music can be streamed from Spotify, or download your Deezer playlist and Pandora stations. You can store personal music to the Versa 3 for now.
- You can send preset replies to notifications you receive. (Android only). You can also reply with your voice and emoji. (not every app is supported)
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important notifications.
- It comes with NFC which supports Fitbit Pay. This is a contactless payment system that will allow you make payment directly from the Versa 3.
- It is rated 5ATM and is also Swim-proof.
- Has microphone that allows you access Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant NEW.
- NEW:Added loudspeaker that allows you make and receive calls, and as well here Alexa and Google Assistant replies.
- You can access your favorite apps for fitness, sports, news, travel, transit and more with a simple tap on Versa 3. There are lots of Apps to choose from in the App store which can be accessed from the Fitbit App.
- Features “do not disturb mode” that allows you to mute call, text and smartphone notifications during the day.
- Features “Sleep mode” that allows you to automatically mute smartphone notifications at night and stop your screen from turning on so you can catch uninterrupted sleep.
Fitbit Versa 3 Fitness Tracking Features
- Equipped to track your steps, distance, floors climbed and calories all day long.
- Tracks your sleep in four stages and allows you see your time in awake, light, deep and REM sleep stages. You’ll also get a daily Sleep Score in the Fitbit app and on your wrist to better understand your sleep quality each night.
- Active Zone Minutes help you make every minute count during workouts by buzzing your wrist when you enter your personalized target heart rate zone. This feature rewards you for time spent in a vigorous or moderate activity that increases your heart rate.
- Helps you reduces stress with 2 and 5 minute guided breathing sessions that are personalized based on your heart rate.
- NEW: Added inbuilt GPS that allows you track outdoor activities more conveniently. The Versa 3 will track your routes, locations, pace and more when you workout outdoors.
- Features menstrual cycle tracking that allow you to log periods, record symptoms, track your ovulation and discover patterns in your cycle from the Fitbit App.
- Tracks your VO2 Max. to help you get a better understanding of your fitness level and learn how you can improve over time with a personalized in-app Cardio Fitness Score.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices, Check supported devices
- You can select up to 6 activities which include running, walking and more to auto track with SmartTrack.
- Features SpO2 blood oxygen measurement that allows you to see the level of oxygen in your blood to help you learn when there may be an indication of important changes in your fitness and wellness. You can see your SpO2 nightly average and range on wrist with an SpO2 clock face and on Fitbit Today.
- There is onscreen animated workout modes that features a handful of workout routines that can guide you through some of your favourite workout modes.
- Up to 20 preloaded sport modes.
Which is Better?
I own both smartwatches, and in my personal opinion, I will say Galaxy Watch 3 is a better smartwatch than Versa 3. It has a better design, higher storage capacity, more activity-tracking features, and offers better ways to manage notifications than Versa 3.
Galaxy Watch 3 wins! It’s a more sophisticated smartwatch than Versa 3. It offers a lot more features that make it a more comprehensive smartwatch. However, Versa 3 has a longer battery life and is also cheaper. It’s up to you to decide what interests you the most.